Whey is the liquid part of milk which is separated from the curds at the time of cheese production. Whey Protein is the protein present in the whey. Whey protein contains a broad range of essential amino acids. It also contains so many nutrients other than protein. It is helpful in losing body fat and increasing strength. There so many supplements of whey protein available in the market and it is also one of the most studied supplements in the world. It is mainly sold as a flavoured powder and can be taken directly or can be added to the shakes.
Types of Whey Protein
There are 3 main types of whey protein. The difference between these three is that they all are processed via different methods.
- Concentrated Whey Protein: It has the best flavor among all three. It contains 70 to 80 percent of protein and also has some fat and lactose(milk sugar).
- Isolated Whey Protein: It lacks so many beneficial nutrients which are found in concentrated whey protein. Isolate contains 90 percent or higher protein and it has less fat and lactose.
- Hydrolysate Whey Protein: It is also known as hydrolyzed whey protein. Hydrolysate gets absorbed faster because it has been pre-digested.
Overall, concentrated whey protein is the best option for you to choose among three.
Since every coin has two sides. So, here is the same thing. There are lots of benefits of whey protein which we will discuss below, but, on the other side, it also has many drawbacks. So you may also read and know: Whey Protein Side Effects.
Uses and Benefits of Whey Protein
- Whey is a great source of high-quality protein and also has a very high nutritional value.
- Whey protein promotes muscles growth and also maintain strength training.
- Whey protein is also very useful for high blood pressure patients because it may lower blood pressure.
- Whey protein can also help to treat type 2 diabetes as it is effective in moderating blood sugar levels.
- The most effective use and benefit of whey protein are that it helps you lose weight and also maintain body mass index.