Hiccups are instant and unintentional contractions of the diaphgram muscle. Sometimes hiccups look funny and secondly, it is annoying and also its sound is very irritating. It constantly repeats after an equal small interval of time as the muscle contracts repeatedly. Since it is very irritating and sometimes painful too, so it is very important to know: How to Stop Hiccups?
What Causes Hiccups?
There is no perfect reason proven by science which causes hiccups. But there lots of conditions associated with hiccups cause and some of them are as follows-
- If you have gas in the stomach which presses against the diaphragm and causes hiccups.
- If you experience strong emotions or stress may also cause hiccups.
- Drinking carbonated drinks, sodas, alcoholic drinks, or hot liquids can also sometimes cause hiccups.
- Spicy and hot food which irritates the phrenic nerve can result in hiccups.
- Chewing gum or smoking also causes hiccups as the person can swallow air.
- Some medical conditions like brain tumors or strokes and other chronic medical condition can cause hiccups.
- Eating too much and too fast should cause hiccups.
- Hiccups are also caused by some liver problems like swelling, infection which cause irritation of the diaphragm.
- Some of the conditions which affect metabolism, including hypoglycemia, hyperglycemia, or diabetes can cause hiccups.
- Some of the respiratory conditions such as pneumonia, asthma, or pleurisy of the diaphragm also causes hiccups.
How to Get Rid of Hiccups?
Below are some tricks and tips by which you can get rid of hiccups instantly-
- Compress your chest
- Hold your breath
- Breath into a brown paper bag
- Pull on your tongue
- Squeeze your palm
- Gargle with cold water or iced water
- Put some drops of vinegar in the mouth
- Bite on a lemon slice
- Press on the diaphragm peacefully
- Hug your knees for 2 minutes gently